In our fast paced and technical world, it is more important than ever before to be aware of the risks and warning signs of identity theft. It can take place in the form of financial fraud, medical identity theft, social security theft, child identity theft, and other threats. These can all cause you financial and legal troubles that disrupt your life.
FNB Fox Valley values you and the hard work you put into earning your money, which is why we want to provide you with ways to prevent identity left and detect early warning signs of it. We encourage you to practice these prevention tips to help keep your finances safe.
- Choose passwords that have no correlation to your life. Don’t use the same password for all accounts and be sure to incorporate numbers and symbols to create a password at least 8 characters long.
- Take advantage of online banking to monitor all transactions made. Customers like you are typically the first to recognize fraud and can contact the bank to take immediate action.
- Shred important bills and documents containing personal information. Thieves will go to great lengths to get their hands on information that they can use to apply for accounts under your name.
- If you are missing bills or statements, alert your bank immediately to inform them you have not received what you should have.
- If you notice unexpected charges on your account, follow through to see where they occurred and contact authorities.
- Collection calls for items you did not purchase should not be ignored.
- Denied credit card for unknown reasons and receiving credit cards you did not sign up for are warning signs someone may have your important information.
We encourage you to be aware of your financial standing and statements. Taking preventative measures is the best way to avoid identity theft. However, if it occurs, it’s vital to know the warning signs so you can take action before serious damage is done.